Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Tell Your Story - #10


DEAR ROW: 
As I grapple with staying true to my voice, I came across this quote by Neil Gaiman:

Tell your story. Don't try and tell the stories that other people can tell. Because [as a] starting writer, you always start out with other people's voices – you've been reading other people for years… But, as quickly as you can, start telling the stories that only you can tell – because there will always be better writers than you, there will always be smarter writers than you … but you are the only you."

I needed that affirmation. I am loving my voice more everyday.

Write me back,
Chanel
_________________________________________________________________

DEAR CHANEL:
This is definitely a fantastic quote and one that if more writers invested in, would either:  

#1. Feel more confident in their expressions
#2. Stop writing and live more so they would have enriched expressions
#3. Realize they're not unique at all and stop regurgitating the same crap over and over again and quit

I think a real writer will go through all three at varying points in her career.

This is a great go-to when you need that extra support. It also applies well to comedians, song writers, lyricists, and anyone putting out original content.

Sometimes it's hard writing against the current and putting stock in your own identity. This totally affirms that. 
--Row
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate you visiting our blog and leaving a comment!