Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Getting Material Read - #13


DEAR CHANEL:
So have I told you that in less than a month of being in town I can say that I’ve queried managers and two asked to read my material?  That’s pretty cool.  I haven’t heard back and I’ll follow up in the upcoming week.  One guy wanted the TV pilot and then asked for a feature and the other guy asked for the pilot and a few weeks to read it…

I’ve also developed a cool friendship potential working relationship with a woman I met through a job op that we are currently both no longer working and she’s reading another feature I have… so I’ll see what she thinks.

Also to get that writer’s room punch up gig I turned in a couple pages of the TV pilot and she thought they were funny… which is why I got invited to the session.  But it’s nice to have other people read material who don’t know/are related to me, aren’t in school with me or one of my professors because then I really get a sense of how the material is hitting.

I was sort of thinking maybe I should try and join a writer’s group here, but I’m not sure.  I’d need to find the right one. I know you’ve been trying to find a suitable group in your end of the country – thoughts?

--Row
___________________________________________________________________

DEAR ROW: 
To writer’s group? To not writer’s group? To writer’s group!

Do you think there is writer’s group potential in the women artists of Girls on Top Productions? Or is that strictly for those specific projects? Or maybe you and a few women from that prodco can form a writer’s group? You seem to mesh well with those folks, so a writer’s group seems to be a natural progression of that good meshing.

What the hell is a writer’s group? I feel like I’ve been to enough of them to know when they work and when they don’t. But of course, it’s all about your own personal expectations, needs and desires. At it’s best, writer’s groups are no more than ten people. I recently went to a writer’s group and close to forty people were present. WTF? And most of the feedback was so general or so dependent on taste that it was NOT helpful for the writer.

A writer’s group has to encompass varying levels of talent and/or experience. I do believe you can be a mediocre writer, but be a kickass note-giver. The worst feedback is: I liked it. I could give two bowel movements. Why did you like it? Specifically?

And the feedback in writer’s groups can’t be all esoteric and theoretical either. Something the school environment unfortunately encourages. It has to be grounded in something. Writing structure and/or industry experience.

I’m still searching for my group. Until then, I have to suffer through more school workshops high on theoretical commentary. At least I know what I don’t want out of a writer’s group. It’s just so essential to constantly have FRESH eyes reading your work…

…So I’m thrilled that you are getting the affirmations every writer needs in this industry. You have done more in one month in Los Angeles than some have the energy or confidence to do in one year. When next September comes around, I just hope I’ll be able to reach you in between your TV writing gigs and big exec meetings.

Write me back,
Chanel

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate you visiting our blog and leaving a comment!